Wednesday 25 March 2009

Sahana-The Vakra Sampoorna Ragam

Music has an eternal reach. It helps one in all situations. There are so many emotions involved in each form of music. One form is the Carnatic music which is a system of music commonly practised in the southern parts of India. There are many ragas in Carnatic music.

 I love many for the moods they are associated with and the emotions they create. One such raga, that has touched many hearts is "Sahana". It gives me a complete feeling whenever I listen to this raga. 

Sahana Ragam, as the wiki says is a vakra sampoorna ragam. It has a crooked nature as far as the swaras are concerned, as there is no proper structure followed in the aarokanam and the avarokanam. It is called a sampoorna rag since it has got all the 7 swaras. 

There are many songs that are close to my heart. But the ones in sahana ragam are closer. The songs I like in sahana ragam are:
1. Parthen rasithen... pakkam vara thudithen.. 
2. Intha veenaiku theriyathu
3. Anbe sugama..


And in Carnatic songs, I love these songs..

Vandhanamu Raghunandhana





The mesmerizing effect of this sweet raaga was even more effective when I heard these songs when I closed my eyes and sat on a couch having so many thoughts in my mind on a rainy day. The raaga touched me so much that I stopped thinking about any other matter and started to look for others songs that were based on this raaga.


1 comment:

  1. charan! it was very nice!I want to look forward to many more interesting raagas in Film music and carnatic songs!! keep it up !
    yours faithfully
    Sridharan
    Nanganallur

    ReplyDelete